Seismic Design of Storage Tanks: November 2009
Recommendations of a NZSEE Study Group on Seismic Design of Storage Tanks
An updated revision of the 1986 “Red Book” has been released by the NZSEE Study Group and is available to interested uses.
The Recommendation for the Seismic Design of Storage Tanks provides guidance on the particular dynamic load effects during an earthquake of liquids stored in various forms of containment systems, or tanks. Structural analysis and design criteria for tanks constructed from steel, reinforced concrete and other materials are covered by the recommendations. Tank foundation investigation, evaluation, analysis and details are considered. A wide range of issues to do with the design detail are reviewed and covered by commentary, and the document contains design charts and design examples.
The recommendations were first published in 1986 and have been widely used in New Zealand as well as acknowledged internationally. Since 1986 there have been substantial changes to the regulatory environment and applicable standards in New Zealand. Therefore, to meet current requirements the principal changes in this revised document are:
- Seismic load is derived from the current national standard for derivation of seismic loads for buildings in New Zealand, NZS 1170.5.
- A procedure is presented to allow assessment of an appropriate return period factor, Ru.
- A correction factor based on the ductility and damping applicable to tank behaviour is applied.
- Some limited ductility is permitted in steel tanks on grade. This generally reduces the load demands from those given previously.
- The document is presented in a form that can be interfaced with other international design codes.
The Recommendations are currently under review by ERMA to determine the document’s compliance with the New Zealand HSNO Act. With approval of the Recommendations as a Code of Practice, a notice and any required amendments will be circulated to those who purchase the Recommendations. (Copies purchased after the ERMA approval will be incorporated into the document, along with any amendments.)
Copies of the November 2009 Recommendations can be purchased by e-mailing a request to the Society’s Executive Officer. Please send you name and postal address. An invoice will be E-mailed back, with a selection of payment options. A copy of the Recommendations will be posted on confirmation of payment.
The Recommendations are NZ$32.00 (excluding GST). Additional packaging and posting depends on the postal address:
|Within New Zealand:||NZ$6.00 (GST Inclusive)|
|Within Australia (via International Air):||NZ$14.37 (excluding GST)|
|Within Pacific (USA, Japan, China via International Air):||NZ$26.83 (excluding GST)|